Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 09-30-2017, 08:57 PM
CAS

Default Giving more than 2 weeks of notice

If you get a new job, but your start date is far away, would you give 3-4 weeks of notice? Or would you wait until exactly 2 weeks before your last day to submit your resignation?
Old 09-30-2017, 09:05 PM
SOA

2 weeks unless you want to take some vacation in between jobs.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:39 PM
CAS

Why would you stick to 2 weeks only? Would giving more notice hurt you at the company you're leaving?
Old 09-30-2017, 09:47 PM
SOA

What's the upside to giving more than two weeks notice? What's the downside to giving two weeks notice?

In my experience there is very little, or more often no upside to giving more than two weeks notice. There is also usually no downside to giving two weeks notice.

I would much rather be more conservative and be more assured that I can leave on my own terms. I have seen companies pay out two weeks and walk a person out the door as soon as they give notice. I've also seen a company try to work an employee to death for their last time there. There is no reason to create the potential for an additional burden to you if you don't need to, so don't.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:59 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30pcssilver View Post
What's the upside to giving more than two weeks notice? What's the downside to giving two weeks notice?

In my experience there is very little, or more often no upside to giving more than two weeks notice. There is also usually no downside to giving two weeks notice.

I would much rather be more conservative and be more assured that I can leave on my own terms. I have seen companies pay out two weeks and walk a person out the door as soon as they give notice. I've also seen a company try to work an employee to death for their last time there. There is no reason to create the potential for an additional burden to you if you don't need to, so don't.
disagree with this logic. It's a selfish view and I think it depends on the company. my company appreciates it when someone gives more than 2 weeks notice. since I like most of the people I work with, i'd probably give more if I could.

think it highly depends on the company though and you can't just make a generalization for all companies. if your company is the type of place where they walk someone out, you would probably already know that and therefore not give more than 2 weeks.
Spoiler:
Old 09-30-2017, 10:22 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
if your company is the type of place where they walk someone out, you would probably already know that and therefore not give more than 2 weeks.
This for sure. When I left my last company a couple months ago I made sure to give at least 3 weeks notice because I respected the people I work with (and they respected me). It was in consulting and my month notice was really appreciated since 2 weeks isn't usually enough time to replace resources at that firm.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:25 AM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

first want to know what my employer requires as a minimum.

second, would want to know if they tend to walk you out the door asap or not. If no, then give whatever seems appropriate to allow for transition of work. if yes, what is the max they will pay out and walk you out asap?
Old 10-01-2017, 02:53 AM
Non-Actuary

Better yet, if you know your company is going through layoffs, try to get yourself laid off/volunteer for a package. That way you can get severance.

https://www.financialsamurai.com/don...d-off-instead/
Old 10-01-2017, 10:54 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapActuary View Post
Better yet, if you know your company is going through layoffs, try to get yourself laid off/volunteer for a package. That way you can get severance.

https://www.financialsamurai.com/don...d-off-instead/
Lol... I don't think my immediate department is going through layoffs anytime soon, but there are rumors of layoffs in other parts of the company. So I don't see this as an option for me.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:05 PM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo

Out of curiosity, are you planning on telling your boss where you're heading, if he asks? I know they will eventually find out, but it seems some people would prefer doing it on their last day or even after they've started working at the new place.