Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 6 US (old Part 7U)
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 10-23-2018, 03:53 PM

I used TIA this sitting and liked it.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:07 PM
CAS

Crystal Clears Exam 6 manual is sufficient. I compared with the TIA one page summaries and the coverage seemed similar enough. It’s also fairly brief so it’s easier to work with and find what you need. You can always look at the source or send her an email if you need additional clarification. Some small errors were found but it is a new manual and she is pretty responsive. She likes to make jokes too if you are into that.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:52 PM
CAS

Studying for CAS exam 6
College: FSU alumna

I love the Crystal Clear manual. I think the info she provides is sufficient to pass the exams and she does a lot in her manual to keep you interested. I wish she had a manual for every exam... I would definitely use it!.. I think if you're on the fence, try it, your employer may even be willing to pay for that PLUS another study item if in the end you don't feel like it will suffice. But essentially, after exam 5, I got very annoyed that the TIA videos were just repeating the manual. I don't think someone reading a manual to me is worth $1200.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:33 PM
CAS

I said I would take a break after exam 5 but now I can't help but thinking about 6....

6 7 8 9
Old 10-25-2018, 09:58 AM
CAS

I liked CC. I had TIA too and CC was so much easier to read. I am sure I didn't pass though, not sure if I will have to buy CC again now? My company only pays for 2 study materials.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:52 AM
CAS SOA

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the CC notes are sufficient to replace the Porter textbook?

I plan on reading most of the other source material, but don't want to buy the Porter text.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:17 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanc249 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on whether the CC notes are sufficient to replace the Porter textbook?

I plan on reading most of the other source material, but don't want to buy the Porter text.
Most questions from the Porter text are pretty easy so you should be fine.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:21 AM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzheng1887 View Post
Crystal Clears Exam 6 manual is sufficient. I compared with the TIA one page summaries and the coverage seemed similar enough. Itís also fairly brief so itís easier to work with and find what you need. You can always look at the source or send her an email if you need additional clarification. Some small errors were found but it is a new manual and she is pretty responsive. She likes to make jokes too if you are into that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAScat View Post
I love the Crystal Clear manual. I think the info she provides is sufficient to pass the exams and she does a lot in her manual to keep you interested. I wish she had a manual for every exam... I would definitely use it!.. I think if you're on the fence, try it, your employer may even be willing to pay for that PLUS another study item if in the end you don't feel like it will suffice. But essentially, after exam 5, I got very annoyed that the TIA videos were just repeating the manual. I don't think someone reading a manual to me is worth $1200.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelD View Post
I liked CC. I had TIA too and CC was so much easier to read. I am sure I didn't pass though, not sure if I will have to buy CC again now? My company only pays for 2 study materials.
Thanks for the input. I think I'm leaning this way but still have to wait on results from 5. I think I passed this time around but optimism with anything CAS related is a setup for soul crushing debilitation.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:14 PM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumath View Post
I figure I would start new thread for the Spring 2019 sitting.
damn you, I was going to start this thread too.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:54 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5
College: FSU Alumni

Hope not too mad, I started the Spring 2018 one for Exam 5 but ended up being the sitting I regretted being involved in. So here I am taking in pencil paper format like I should of in the first place (Exam 5) so now I'm continuing to again study Exam 6 unless something stops me in December from continuing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
damn you, I was going to start this thread too.