Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Corporate Finance and ERM (CFE) Track > Strategic Decision Making
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 06-21-2019, 12:45 AM
SOA

College: University of Manitoba
Default What is your study company's SDM pass rate?

Hey students, what is your study company's SDM pass rate?

Here is the XP Actuarial SDM pass rate for 2018 (Spring & Fall), for our top study product

2018 XP SDM Pass rate: 78%
2018 SOA SDM pass rate: 48%
Excess pass rate: 30%

Premium Package
Our top product is the Premium Package and it has all of the tools students used to produce these high pass rates, including the full online video seminar covering the entire syllabus. The price is $950.

Decision Math
If you are looking to get this exam done and get on with your career and life, here is the decision math on just the excess pass probability XP has produced for SDM:
Investment = $950
Expected monetary value =$40/hour x 300 hours studying x 30% higher pass rate = $3,600
Return > 270%
And this monetary calculation doesn't consider you have limited time in your life!

Whether this is your first time writing, or you have struggled with this exam even once, this is a way to have a significant competitive advantage over the other students and get this exam done.

Steve
What is your study company's SDM pass rate?

XP premium package SDM pass rate in Spring 2019 was 91.7%!

Using anything less is clearly a very poor strategic decision
Old 06-21-2019, 12:55 AM
SOA

Here are a just a few of the testimonials from the last completed sitting (Fall/2018) for SDM.

I tried XP for the SDM exam after I failed this exam twice using PAK. At the beginning, I was hesitate to spend more money on seminars since I feel they worked in the similar ways. BUT, XP did make a difference!

I can tell the differences from the first time Steve reached out to me. At that point, I was really frustrated and had no idea how to study for this exam since I never fail so many times before. Steve helped me improve the way I answer questions and overcome all my weak areas.

I appreciated all efforts Steve made to help me pass! Steve is a really good teacher. He knows how to teach people in a way suit them best and makes my study not boring anymore! I will definitely recommend XP to all students who are taking SDM.

Yining Chen

You are part of my success. I would like to say thanks to you my professor. I will recommend this coaching to all my friends who are taking SDM. It was the greatest coaching ever in my actuarial exam path. Again thanks for all your support with kindness. Please keep in touch!

Porapol Likitpronswan

After having used many study programs for the associate and fellowship level exams, I can say that the level of individual customization and tailoring that Steve puts into his program is unlike anything else available. In addition to the seminar, notecards, and practice exams (which are as close to an actual SOA exam as you can take prior to exam day), Steve provides a level of individual feedback that I am certain was key to me passing SDM. I spent several hours talking through questions surrounding content, past exam questions, and feedback on his practice exams.

As Steve and others who have used his program have mentioned, his instills a process of answering questions radically different from what is needed on all other exams. By practicing the process and discussing with Steve, the method of answering questions became second nature and gave me an entirely new perspective on how to tackle exam questions.

I have never worked with someone on exam preparation that takes such a meticulous and individual approach with their students, and I cannot recommend Steve enough to anyone who is looking to crush this beast of an exam.

Joseph Pesca

Steve

Old 07-02-2019, 10:57 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing

Hi Steve! This is really impressive, and I'm hoping to take SDM in the fall (waiting on results for CFEFD for now). Can you comment on how the pass rate for XP students is determined? Is it self reported (i.e., are there folks who don't respond, if so how are they counted in the statistics)? Thank you for any details you can provide. Looking forward to a fun exam in the fall!
Old 07-02-2019, 12:10 PM
SOA

Good question!
So for spring 2018, we introduced a full online seminar for SDM. I had the list of people that purchased it and get the list of people who passed from the list of passing names published by the SOA. I only had one student not also report to me before the names came out that they passed - I try to connect with every student writing SDM and they usually let me know what happened, but I have the names list if not.

We had one student in the spring sitting who purchased the online seminar, self-reported prior to the exam that they would not write the exam due to personal constraints, so that was the only bit of information that I really needed self-reported.

A couple more very important bits of information:
1) The students I get to work with work incredibly hard - harder than the previous exams - so it's the hard work + having the right tools and right process that get those pass rates

2) I record a lot more information than pass rates. Because I work really closely with quite a few students, I keep a checklist of what they are doing (or not doing) and I get some pretty good data on what students do who pass and what student do who don't. Obviously some of this is self-reported, but it's pretty shocking to see the leverage points for this exam. I invested a huge amount of time in those leverage points with the launch of our online seminar and our pass rates skyrocketed.

I'm probably a bit unique in that after leaving full-time actuarial work, I started part-time teaching (investment & risk management), got more into high-level sports coaching, and got a degree in psychology. When Clayton from XP Actuarial asked me about joining him to assist on the SDM exam, I wondered if I could apply things I learned in other fields to this exam, not fully realizing what a crazy beast this exam was relative to all of the other SOA exams. It took a few sittings and some really detailed work with a handful of students, but it's been amazing how its really paid off.

But the learning continues, after talking to students after the exam this last sitting and attending a conference that covered skill development, I realized I can simplify some of the things we do for those high pass rates to be sure everyone takes advantage of what we do. I believe for the students willing to follow the simplified extra steps/tools we have, we can get that pass rate up even higher.

I really hope you pass CFEFD, and the fact that you have the attitude of looking forward to the SDM exam, I think we can accomplish a lot!

Steve

Last edited by XP-SteveScoles; 07-02-2019 at 12:51 PM..
Old 07-02-2019, 02:30 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing

Thank you so much Steve! Super helpful information. It sounds like I will definitely be on board for the XP premium package when I get to SDM, hopefully later this month!