Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 04-17-2020, 03:25 PM
SOA

College: Wabash College B.A. 1962, Stanford Ph.D. 1965
Default Is anyone interested in a FREE weekly review & help session & some free videos?

17 April 2020

Is anyone interested in a FREE weekly LTAM review & help session on Zoom plus some free videos?

At least while covid-19 restrictions preclude my offering face-to-face exam-prep seminars (and perhaps continuing well beyond that time), I’m planning on having a FREE meeting on Zoom for 30-to-40 minutes once a week for anyone who wants to view it, provided that at least a handful of folks would be interested. I hope that this might help you prepare for the exam in this crazy and fraught time.

If you're interested in some free videos on this material, see my post farther below in this thread.

Each session would focus on helping participants make sense of one or two topics that I view as “core” (that is, that either are regularly tested or are crucial to understanding other material that is regularly tested) or that some of you ask me to cover. Each session would consist mainly of my reviewing and presenting the key ideas and formulas—essentially an excerpt from my seminars—with some time at the end for questions from viewers on that or closely related material. I doubt that I’ll demonstrate solving practice problems.

For the moment, I need two things: AS OF 24 April 2020, NO LONGER NEEDED. SEE THE FOLLOWING POSTS IN THIS THREAD.
1) DELETED
2) DELETED

During a session, some of the time your screen would display me explaining something, some of the time it would display printed text while I talk, and some of the time it would display my writing live on my tablet while I talk; therefore, the sessions should probably not be viewed just on a smart phone since a bigger screen would be better.

If I learn that enough folks are interested, I’ll announce on this thread on which Tuesday and at what time the weekly sessions will start and will provide the URL link and password for the Zoom meeting. At that time I’ll also ask people to e-mail me at jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com with any requests for topics for me to cover. I’ll always announce on this thread the topic or topics for the coming week. The topic for the first session—when I’ll be working to adjust to using this technology and getting the bugs out of my approach—will almost certainly be "Making sense of mixture distributions".

Based on my experience helping people prepare for SoA exams since 1989, I consider the following to be among the Core topics that I might cover:

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #1: Mixture distributions

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #2a: Traditional survival models: intuitive calculations using integrals

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #2b: Traditional survival models: aggregate, select, or select & ultimate

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #3: Expected lifetimes based on Tx and Kx; decomposition and recursion

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #4: Traditional survival models: intuitive calculations using life tables

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #5: Assumptions on the distribution of Tx within integer ages: UDD and CF

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #6: Modeling mortality improvement

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #7: Multi-life statuses and probabilities, especially for independent lives

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #8: General multi-decrement models and computations

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #9: Multi-decrement and associated single-decrement models

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #10: Multi-state Markov-chain models: setting and notation

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #11: Multi-state Markov-chain models: discrete-time probability calculations

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #12: Multi-state Markov-chain models: continuous-time probability calculations

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #13: Estimates, estimators, and some properties

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #14: Confidence intervals and approximate variances

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #15: Maximum Likelihood Estimation: the process, and a key property

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #16: Maximum Likelihood Estimation for constant-force survival models

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #17: Empirical estimation with complete individual data

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #18: Empirical estimation with complete grouped data

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #19: Empirical estimation with incomplete individual data

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #20: Empirical estimation with incomplete grouped data

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #21: Actuarial/expected present values and Triple Product Summation

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #22: Continuous insurance on single lives

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #23: Discrete insurance on single lives

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #24: Discrete annuities on single lives

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #25: Continuous annuities on single lives

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #26: Insurances and annuities on multiple lives

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #27: Insurances and annuities in multi-state settings

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #28: Retiree pension and health benefits: described

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #29: Premiums for benefits only

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #30: Premiums for benefits and expenses

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #31: Percentile (and other) premium principles

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #32: Reserves—what and why?

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #33: Reserves for benefits only

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #34: Reserves for benefits and expenses

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #35: Full Preliminary Term (FPT) reserves

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #36: Recursions for fully-discrete reserves

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #37: Differential equations for fully-continuous reserves

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #38: Profit analysis

LTAM Seminar Excerpt #39: Retiree pension and health benefits: funding
jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com

Last edited by Jim Daniel; 06-09-2020 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: Add videos
Old 04-24-2020, 10:58 AM
SOA

Default Sessions start 28 April 2020

24 April 2020

A few people have e-mailed me expressing interest in my Zoom sessions for LTAM, enough so that probably at least two or three will join each Zoom session (provided I do a good job!). Therefore I commit to offering these LTAM sessions for 30 to 40 minutes weekly, if interest (and my energy) continues, on
TUESDAYS AT 5 PM CALIFORNIA TIME, STARTING 28 APRIL 2020.

From now on, anyone is welcome to join the sessions without notifying me first. The URL for connecting is
https://zoom.us/j/92401477357?pwd=Wj...VPMWFkV0RGdz09
good through 6 April 2021, after which I’ll post a new URL.

The posting immediately following this one on this Outpost thread will be edited regularly to list the scheduled topics for each session. If there’s a topic (or topics) you’d like me to address, let me know at any time by an e-mail to jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com ; the initial post in this thread lists some possible topics. Please NEITHER post your request to this Outpost thread NOR send me an Outpost PM. To get started, I’ve chosen the first topic; I hope that that first session will allow me to get the bugs out of the technology and improve my use of it. Feel free to e-mail me suggestions on how I can improve the sessions.

Every few weeks I’ll add to this Outpost thread to announce whether I’m still continuing these sessions or have ceased giving them.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:59 AM
SOA

Default Schedule of Zoom sessions

SCHEDULE FOR THE LTAM ZOOM SESSIONS
TUESDAYS AT 5 PM CALIFORNIA TIME, STARTING 28 APRIL 2020.
The URL for connecting is
https://zoom.us/j/92401477357?pwd=Wj...VPMWFkV0RGdz09
good through 6 April 2021, after which I’ll post a new URL.

Requests for topics to be covered should be e-mailed to jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com ; the initial post in this thread lists some possible topics. Repeats of topics are OK, since participants come and go over time.

28 Apr 2020: Making sense of mixture distributions
5 May 2020: By request: Mortality improvement, I
12 May 2020: By request: Mortality improvement, II
19 May 2020: By request: Benefits in multi-life and multi-state settings, I
26 May 2020: By request: Benefits in multi-life and multi-state settings, II
2 Jun 2020: By request: Recursions for life expectancies, insurances, annuities, & reserves, I
9 Jun 2020: By request: Recursions for life expectancies, insurances, annuities, & reserves, II
16 Jun 2020: By request: Normal cost in funding DB pensions
23 Jun 2020: By request: FPT reserves
30 Jun 2020: By request: Empirical estimation with complete individual or grouped data
7 Jul 2020: Empirical estimation with incomplete individual data
14 Jul 2020: Empirical estimation with incomplete grouped data
EXAM SCHEDULED FOR 17 Jul 2020

Now heading toward the October sitting.....

21 Jul 2020: Survival model intuitive probability calculations using integrals
28 Jul 2020: Survival model intuitive probability calculations using life tables
4 Aug 2020: Within-year assumptions---UDD and CF
11 Aug 2020: Any requests?

Last edited by Jim Daniel; 07-27-2020 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Update schedule
Old 04-25-2020, 06:27 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Ballast Point Sculpin
Default Thank You!

Hi Jim - Thank you for doing this!
Old 04-26-2020, 07:56 AM
Non-Actuary

Thank you!
Old 04-26-2020, 08:40 AM
CAS

Cool. Good luck with the seminar, Jim.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:12 PM
SOA

Default Free videos on much of the LTAM material

Back in 2010, I became the Director of Actuarial Education for a start-up company called AbacusLI that was preparing videos and face-to-face seminars for various actuarial exams. I was fortunate to be able to entice my friend Dr. Steve Paris, ASA, award-winning teacher and director of the actuarial program at Florida State University, to prepare for AbacusLI a set of videos on the content of then-exam MLC, most of which is now part of LTAM.

When AbacusLI closed down after several years, I was given the rights to all its videos. With the enthusiastic approval of Steve Paris, I'm releasing his MLC videos now for anyone interested in a free learning resource on much of the material on LTAM. Note that I've not deleted videos on any material no longer on the LTAM syllabus, and that not everything on the LTAM syllabus is covered in these MLC videos. Nonetheless, since Steve is a great teacher I'm sure that many learners will find these videos helpful.

Here's the URL to the folder on my Dropbox that you can download with all Steve's videos:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7rtc9xz8z...XeXEXMgxa?dl=0
It's a big folder, almost 5 GB, so be patient; I've broken the folder into several smaller pieces and suggest that you download one piece at a time. Some employer's networks block downloads from Dropbox, so you may need to download elsewhere.

Last edited by Jim Daniel; 06-10-2020 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Update downloading info