Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 2/FM - Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Registration Form
Be Notified

of New
Actuarial Jobs

D.W. Simpson
& Company

International
Actuarial
Recruiters

www.dwsimpson.com

Australia Jobs
Casualty, Life,
Superannuation,
Health &
Investment

Pension
Actuarial Jobs

Consulting &
Insurers --
Students,
Associates &

Fellows

Old 09-30-2001, 08:09 PM

Hi, c2 takers,

How do you study macroecon? I found the Wachtel notes make me headache. Is there any book I can read?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2001, 10:33 AM

Something that I found to be beneficial was to look at the JAM 220 study guide. (All of the macro material for Exam 2 was taken from the old exam 220.) I familiarized myself with this, and then went back to the study notes for reinforcement.

Old 10-01-2001, 11:33 AM
Anonymous

Try to read the macro notes twice, and make your own graph and notes
Old 10-15-2001, 10:53 AM

I hated that macroecon study note. Just learn as many basic formulas as you can. If you're pretty solid on the rest of the material, you can afford to miss a few of the macro questions.
Old 10-15-2001, 01:47 PM

Biggest problem in the study note is not knowing whether it's discussing short-term or long-term effects, or Keynesian or Classical. It seemed to jump all over, from what I can remember.

Also, there aren't enough graphs to show the step-by-step effects of "shocks" to the economy. As someone else pointed out, you should redo these yourself.

The JAM was good at whittling it down to 30-40 pages, then down to three or four (?) in the condensed outline. If you can find one, it would have some value. I think I threw mine out.

Try to determine the "take-home" message of each chapter.
Or, for starters, try "A shock of (a) will result in (x) under Keynesian theory, and (y) under Classical theory."
Old 10-15-2001, 01:50 PM

Also, if anyone knows of an introductory econ book that's the least bit interesting, please let us know.
I remember from my middle-school days some book about cavemen. Anyone know that one?
Old 10-15-2001, 02:07 PM

Favorite beer: Mountain Dew

For the Economics on course #2 (both micro and macro) what you need are intermediate (junior in college) level books. That is what the Price Theory (micro) book is. For Macro you can try Gordon's Macroeconomics, or most any book that you find available in the genre. I like Gordon because it was my introduction to the subject (my major in college) and has lots of graphs.

Whoever said it was right about doing graphs yourself, its just like working out problems in math.