Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-11-2004, 04:08 PM

Default just sent some cover letters, now what?

so I just sent some cover letters/resumes to a few companies, and I figure that I should wait about 1 to 2 weeks, and do a call back.

First question, what do I say? The companies that I sent to, weren't hiring or anything to begin with, but my career advisor stated that I should send anyways if I want to take a chance at some kind of position or internship. so I did.

So I figure that I should call and ask if they have recieved my resume. That's probably the first thing. What do I say after they say "yes?" Do I ask them if they are interested? What if they say no? do I offer to send my resume again? I want to give myself a script, just to keep the "moment of silence" to a minimal....
Old 11-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Travis

..I'm guessing these were non-actuarial jobs?
Old 11-11-2004, 04:15 PM

Honey, did you spell check and have someone review your resume and cover letters?
Old 11-11-2004, 04:24 PM

a few were actuarial, but a majority were not actuarial.

And yes, I did have my career service review my resume and cover letter, and everything. Everything was good.....

Just forgot to ask.....about this question
Old 11-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Resident Snob
SOA

You may want to repost this in careers or ask a mod to move this thread if you want a serious answer to your question.

I don't have any advice for you.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:27 PM

After 48 posts you haven't noticed we have an Employment Section of the board?

Pick up the phone, remind them of your interest, and go from there. Since it sounds like these were unsolicited, some may tell you they're not hiring but they'll keep you on file, a few might actually take some time and give you some advice.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie
After 48 posts you haven't noticed we have an Employment Section of the board?
We have an Employment Section on this board?
Old 11-11-2004, 04:52 PM

Hi, this is Ms. Hon, I sent a resume a week or so, and was just following up. Did you receive my resume?

Yes.

Can you fill me in on the process? I'm very interested in working for your company. Do you have a hiring season, or are you in the hiring process right now?

No, we aren't hiring right now.

Well, I would definitely be very interested in a position with your company, can you tell me what I should do in order to keep my name in consideration when there is an opening?

I'm not sure what the process is.

Is there somebody there in XXX department (where XXX may be actuarial, try to AVOID HR) that handles that that I could check with. I think your company is great because of ______, and I'm very interested in working there, so I just want to make sure that my resume is, at a minimum, on file should there be any openings. Or, if there's a group/department that has an opening, I would really love to chat with them about what they are looking for.....

I'll get the name of the appropriate contact person and let you know.

Maybe I can just send you an email as a reminder, and then when you have the contact info, all you have to do is reply? Or, I could call back in a few days, whatever is easiest for you?

Since I assumed the worst case scenario on most of the answers, you should be able to build a pretty good script from that.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:56 PM

And, be ready with 2 things: list of reeasons why you love their company, and list of reasons why you are qualified. Throw them in at any opportunity.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:05 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley
Hi, this is Ms. Hon, I sent a resume a week or so, and was just following up. Did you receive my resume?

Maybe I can just send you an email as a reminder, and then when you have the contact info, all you have to do is reply? Or, I could call back in a few days, whatever is easiest for you?

Since I assumed the worst case scenario on most of the answers, you should be able to build a pretty good script from that.
Wow. Very nice, Westley...I could've used this back when I was looking for a job. I hate not knowing what to say. Nice job.