Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-13-2005, 08:27 AM
glenn

Default Telecommuting - do you? can you? how do you?

<tan> from the benefits thread, for those working in a corporate environment:
As someone who 'kinda' telecommutes, - as does everyone who works for and with me - I see huge advantages in this and litlte in the way of drawbacks. Yet my impression is that most employers don't allow this.

- do you telecommute?
- can you telecommute (i.e. will company allow it?)
- how did you convince your employer to allow you to telecommute?
Old 05-13-2005, 08:43 AM

I work from home one day a week, on average, but my first year with the company I worked from home the whole year, allowing me to postpone my relocation till my son finished high school. My company, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, is way ahead of the curve on this.

What makes it work is good technology. We have instant-messaging and screen-share capability and have toll-free teleconference numbers. I think that in general we hire hard-working people with a strong work ethic and then trust them to put in an honest days' work. It requires a lot of trust, which is why so many other companies have the attitude of "how do I know you're working if I can't see you?" but I think it gets paid back in many ways.

People are more productive because commuting time is zero. They can work under circumstances (sick kids, waiting for cable guy) that might have other people at home doing nothing. They're more loyal because they know they have a sweet deal. My boss used to stay in Phila. during the week and head to the family's home on the NJ shore only on weekends in the summer. Now he moves his laptop to the beach house and works from there all summer. He'd probably think long and hard before accepting a job that required him to commute to the shore again. The company also saves the expense of relocating him and renting office space for him.

One disadvantage- I do think I've been drawn into more projects since moving to the Head Office. A point made here in discussions on outsourcing is that if you can do your whole job by telecommuting, it can be outsourced. So, I like to stay visible and have face-to-face meetings when I can.

I could go on, but I'm working from home today (son is home from college) and I have stuff to do!

Last edited by Salzmann; 05-13-2005 at 09:12 AM..
Old 05-13-2005, 09:23 AM

ummm....sounds like a good option to me!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

http://actuary.ca/actuarial_discussi...9&postcount=16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas
Telecommute, P&C, Fellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.W. Simpson Webmaster
Our recruiters stressed to me again that the actuaries that they know of that are doing this are usually doing it 2 or 3 days a week, with face time the other 2 or 3 days, and that they all were with their companies for a period of time before any telecommuting began.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:57 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Life (not Exams)
College: Iowa State University

I telecommute full-time. I am in a R&D role (specifically model development). The people who I am working with on my projects are all over the world. If I was in an office building, I would have just as many calls over the phone and have to travel just as much.

Also, I have 5 people on my team. Two in the NYC area, one in Europe and two in India. My boss also telecommutes. Me going into the office for "face time" also means nothing since my boss and none of my team are in our main office.

Personally, I live where I want to live. I will not move from here until my youngest son is out of high school (He is 3 months old right now), because of the school they go to. Being able to telecommute has allowed me to send my kids to (what I think is) the best school. My wife and I can live as close to our families as possible. There are other reasons for me to live here. The closest insurance company is 35 minutes away. I used to work at that company, but they are small and didn't offer the opportunities I have here.

It would be very, very difficult for me to ever change jobs as long as I am allowed to telecommute. We are able to bring in very talented people regardless of geographic location. To me, both of those reasons are a huge competitive advantage until other companies start understanding how telecommuting can benefit them. I asked a recruiter about other companies and if they see telecommuting as an option up front, and she said that we are the only company that she sees doing it (with a few exceptions).
Old 05-13-2005, 02:15 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

I telecommute full-time, in the sense that my day-to-day desk is in a remote office about 120 miles from the home office I am organizationally attached to.

I'm part of the home office management/support team of one division of our company. The division's made up of several businesses scattered around the country...so it doesn't really matter where we're physically located. (My boss usually works from the beach, while my grandbosses are scattered across three time zones.) Regardless of where we physically are, we'd be doing the same thing (pulling data from remote servers; communicating via phone or email).

I have a desk in the remote office because it's nearby, and because a couple of other members of our team also live in the area. Rather than relo us to the home office.... And the company prefers that we work in an official office, for workers comp issues; however, there is precedent for waiving that for desirable candidates who aren't near one of our offices.

We can/do work from home as circumstances warrant. I'll work from home when I need to be away from people to crank through a big project, or when I have something going on at the house that I also need to tend to, or on days like today, where I didn't get home from the field until after 3am because of weather enroute.

Most of us on the team know each other from prior lives, so the advance familiarity with work ethic takes care of any questions that an employer might have about a potential hire requesting telecommuting privs.

Biggest hassle for me isn't lack of face time with the boss; it's lack of face time with contacts I have within the home office. As a result, I head in to the home office at least once a month, spending a day trying to be in front of people, so that I am something other than just a disembodied voice on the phone.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:06 AM
CAS

I work from home two days a week. I was working full-time in the office until the company relocated our office from a centrally located downtown locale to a suburban office campus. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for me, I lived in the opposite direction of the office move. They went NW, I live SE. So that put me 55 miles away.

I wasn't going to move, and they didn't want to lose me (I hope), so they offered me this alternative. My job involves a lot of data management type work and ad hoc analysis for people, so most of it is done through e-mails and databases anyway - things I don't need to be in the office to access.

I do manage 5 people, though, so that can be difficult sometimes. I'm fortunate that all are relatively independent, and one of my employees started supervising the two junior members of the staff, so that worked out well as a development opportunity for him as well as freeing up "face time" for me.

The days I drive in can be long, especially now that construction season is underway, but the days I'm home are great. I start at 6:00 or so, and knock off around 3:00 with no commute. The wife certainly appreciates me "getting home" early on those days. It's a great gig.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:16 PM

I work full time in the IS department of a company in California as a manager of Web technologies. I have been working for this company for 6 years.
My team has gone from 4 developers down to 2 for several reasons.
I am planning to move back to South America, where I am originally from. My intention is to keep my job. My team is in California but work mostly with other staff located in the East coast.
I have mentioned my plans to my boss who fully supports me but my main concern are the folks above him, who are pretty conservative. My job can totally be done by telecommuting.
I need to present a plan at some point but I am not sure how I am going to put it on the table.
Any ideas on this?
Has anyone gone through a similar situation?
Thanks a lot.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

Making Your Case for Telecommuting: How to Convince the Boss
Old 03-02-2006, 01:18 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneypointe
I work full time in the IS department of a company in California as a manager of Web technologies. I have been working for this company for 6 years.
My team has gone from 4 developers down to 2 for several reasons.
I am planning to move back to South America, where I am originally from. My intention is to keep my job. My team is in California but work mostly with other staff located in the East coast.
I have mentioned my plans to my boss who fully supports me but my main concern are the folks above him, who are pretty conservative. My job can totally be done by telecommuting.
I need to present a plan at some point but I am not sure how I am going to put it on the table.
Any ideas on this?
Has anyone gone through a similar situation?
Thanks a lot.
You could become a contractor instead of an employee.