Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 07-12-2005, 01:40 AM

Default gpa importance?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. Thanks in advance for responses.

I just passed exam FM, and am now actively looking for my first actuarial job. Does GPA really matter if I've been out of school for 3 years? I had a 2.85 in math/applied science(accounting) from UCLA.

Since graduation, I've worked as assistant media planner at a major advertising firm, a substitute teacher, and currently at a major insurance company as an analyst(non-actuarial). All jobs were 1 year in duration.

I thought GPA wouldn't matter at this point since I have 2 exams under the belt and work experience. However, I recently interviewed with a major consulting firm in NYC and when the GPA question came up, my response of 2.85 probably took me out of the running, since I believe the rest of my interview went well. My math major gpa is about the same as my cumulative.

How should I approach? I'm applying to my current company for the actuarial student program(office is on opposite coast) and they know about my gpa, and are now asking for transcripts. Also, I did work two jobs during college. I don't want my gpa to be a major issue, as I believe that my exams should stand on their own. I will sit for Exam M in november.

-khe

Last edited by khe; 07-12-2005 at 01:42 AM..
Old 07-12-2005, 07:10 AM
SOA AAA

If you're already working at a major insurance company in a non-actuarial job, is it possible to transfer into the actuarial department?
Old 07-12-2005, 08:37 AM

It probably wouldn't matter if you had a 3.0. But, 2.85 is pretty bad at many schools - you need to emphasize that this was at UCLA, not Wassamata U.

Also, can you point out some subsets that make you look better - like did your junior/senior GPAs look better, or GPA in your major?

To me, low GPA doesn't matter much for somebody 3 years out who has passed some exams, but I can understand why it might to some.

Emphasize your positives: exams, quality school, work while in school, you were immature and you've learned (even if that's not true). Somebody will hire you. A few people will not consider you because of GPA, but there's only so much you can do. Sell what you've got and cross your fingers, somebody will be buying.

Also, it's possible, but unlikely, that you got past a resume screen and had a job interview and they nixed you for grades. Once we get people in to interview, we aren't going to look at their grades at all - if that was something that mattered, we would have caught it on the resume screen and saved our travel budget. We certainly wouldn't waste our time interviewing a 2.85 student from some generic school; maybe from UCLA, though.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2005, 09:34 AM

Favorite beer: Keep your deflectors up, do-gooder! You haven't seen the last of this face!

Is your GPA for your major shown separately on the transcript? If not, redefine the curriculum for your major to exclude a C or two, so that the GPA is 3.0 or better.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:37 AM

Exam 3/M is regarded as a weed-out exam for a lot of actuaries. If you pass it, I'm sure many more people will overlook your GPA.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:40 AM
SOA

You guys are seriously past my over/under on how many posts it'll take before someone links to all the past GPA threads.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:16 AM

Defintiely emphasize that you worked your way through school. I was working two and occasionally three jobs during college, and it definitely impaired my GPA. I would be much more impressed with your 2.85 than some fratboy whose mommy and daddy footed the bill for his 3.25.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Muppet Queen
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for my yearly physical
Favorite beer: battered onion rings

When you have few or no exams, gpa is an indicator. The reason to see your transcript is to see what classes tripped you up - if they were math/stat/econ/etc. classes that could indicate that you may struggle thru the exams (If it was obscure History classes, that's another story). That your major GPA is similar to your overall is also seen as an indicator of future exam success. Your having 2 exams counterbalances that somewhat, but not completely.

Life sucks like a hoover. Grab the handle or get in the bag. fun king ded
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...82&postcount=5 Maine-iac thinks I'm smart
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...0&postcount=10 So does Westley!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner
Defintiely emphasize that you worked your way through school. I was working two and occasionally three jobs during college, and it definitely impaired my GPA. I would be much more impressed with your 2.85 than some fratboy whose mommy and daddy footed the bill for his 3.25.
Why do frat boys who's parents can afford to send them to college get such a bad rap? That's totally bogus. What's he supposed to do? Work (even though he doesn't need to) so he can's study as much and then have to explain why his GPA is so low?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
Why do frat boys who's parents can afford to send them to college get such a bad rap? That's totally bogus. What's he supposed to do? Work (even though he doesn't need to) so he can's study as much and then have to explain why his GPA is so low?
Or get a decent gpa?