Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Political Issues
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Life Actuarial Jobs
& Annuities,

& Investments
Worldwide

Salary Surveys
Life & Health

Pension
Property & Casualty

DW Simpson & Co.
Actuarial
Recruitment
Worldwide

Casualty Jobs
& Property -- Worldwide
Reinsurance,

Insurance, Bureaus & Consulting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 09-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Titania
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfi5h
I bet you $20,000 they find WMD in Iraq before both of us die.
Please.

1) There are TONS of WMD there now...brought in by the US military when we invaded.
2) It's likely that another rogue regime will set up there before we die.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-23-2005, 09:53 AM
lawfi5h
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania
Please.

1) There are TONS of WMD there now...brought in by the US military when we invaded.
2) It's likely that another rogue regime will set up there before we die.
Relax. It's friday.

And this is the political humor thread. It was a joke.

Think through the implications of the bet to find the humor.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-23-2005, 10:05 AM
fallout fallout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 29,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania
Anyone see John Stewart's bit on WH Press Sec's last night?

"Strategy 1: Blow their minds."





I looked up the transcript on the WH site...the rest of that exchange pretty much sums up why Ari isn't there anymore I think...

Poor Ari... I actually like him a lot.



Anyone want to argue some more about how this Whitehouse doesn't lie? Or does Ari have a different definition of "fact?"
Facts change.

It used to be a fact that the atom was the smallest possible thing, that AIDs will kill you in a few months, that the earth was flat... etc...
__________________
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Titania
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallout
Facts change.

It used to be a fact that the atom was the smallest possible thing, that AIDs will kill you in a few months, that the earth was flat... etc...
Weak, dude, just...weak.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 09-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Titania
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfi5h
Relax. It's friday.

And this is the political humor thread. It was a joke.

Think through the implications of the bet to find the humor.
I'm chilled.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-23-2005, 10:35 AM
fallout fallout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 29,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania
Weak, dude, just...weak.

Why is it weak?

Even if some crazy person imagined something smaller than an atom, until it was proven so, he was simply wrong.

Facts change.
__________________
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Titania
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallout
Why is it weak?
Because it's comparing science with political grandstanding.

True scientists accept nothing as fact...the best you can do is a Theory, which is also subject to change.

Maybe Fleischer shouldn't have used that word...I mean, if the WH was always open to the possibility that there were no WMD in Iraq, then why would he say it was a "fact?" The US public is supposed to know that a fact is not really a fact when uttered by the WH press Sec? Because atoms aren't the smallest particle?

Weak.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09-23-2005, 10:58 AM
fallout fallout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 29,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania
Because it's comparing science with political grandstanding.

True scientists accept nothing as fact...the best you can do is a Theory, which is also subject to change.

Maybe Fleischer shouldn't have used that word...I mean, if the WH was always open to the possibility that there were no WMD in Iraq, then why would he say it was a "fact?" The US public is supposed to know that a fact is not really a fact when uttered by the WH press Sec? Because atoms aren't the smallest particle?

Weak.
A fact is based on the evidence at the time. There are no absolute facts anywhere at anytime.

The word fact should be stricken from the vocabulary if your point is valid.
__________________
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 09-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Titania
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallout
A fact is based on the evidence at the time. There are no absolute facts anywhere at anytime.
Nonsense. The skirt I'm wearing today is purple. That's a fact.

Ari Fleischer characterized WMD in Iraq as having the same level of certainty as the color of my skirt.

He was either lying, or mistaken. In no way was his statement true, however.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 09-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Ronald Reagan Ronald Reagan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: "We will get only what we know how to take"
Posts: 8,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0050725-5.html

The old "not to my recollection" trick. Like Ronnie Raygun ala Iran Contra.
"Not to my recollection" is GOP-speak for "I'm lying right now".
He keeps saying he doesn't remember paying dues. Are there dues? Are they suspended for the facist leaders of the group, which he apparently was one.

Parsing words = lying.
__________________
"While many regions of the world offer great oil opportunities, the Middle East with two thirds of the world’s oil and the lowest cost, is still where the prize ultimately lies, even though companies are anxious for greater access there, progress continues to be slow."- Dick Cheney, 1999

"Even more significant than the numbers is the perception of risk among workers..."- Harvard law professor Paul Weiler
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.19170 seconds with 8 queries