Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 1/P - Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Life Actuarial Jobs
& Annuities,

& Investments
Worldwide

Salary Surveys
Life & Health

Pension
Property & Casualty

DW Simpson & Co.
Actuarial
Recruitment
Worldwide

Casualty Jobs
& Property -- Worldwide
Reinsurance,

Insurance, Bureaus & Consulting

Old 11-18-2005, 08:27 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M
I know they told you that you got a 0, were they able to tell you how many you got right on the exam?
No, they told me that they dont' have my exam anymore because it was a computer based test (CBT).

That is why that I suspect that they somehow lost my exam. Because if they lost my exam, there's only 3 things that they can do
1) Let me pass (which would never happen)
2) Tell me to do it again (which I will be very pissed)
3) Disqualify me
Why don't you write to them and see what they say, perhaps specifically asking how many you got right? "don't have my exam" might mean different things to different people

It seems impossible to me that they do not have* a record of how many you got right. It seems highly unlikely to me that they do not have* a record of which ones you got right and wrong, and extremely likely that they have* a record of what answer you gave to each question.

* have, or could still retrieve from stored information

Maybe "we do not have your exam" just means "all we have is a record of how you answered each question". That's not what I would mean by "we do not have your exam", but that seems more likely than that the real situation is "all we can determine about how anyone did is their 0-10 grade".

This does not mean I think they will tell you how many you got right, since their policy is only to tell candidates their score on the 0-10 scale.

Good luck, but I would not be optimistic. Even if they agree that they have a record of how the CBT terminal said you answered each question, and agree to rescore that, you're probably out of luck, since the most likely source of a problem might be that the CBT terminal was not working properly. If they discovered that the CBT terminal said you didn't answer any, they might give you your money back.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

To clarify the distinction I was trying to make about "having" your exam:

1. With a pencil-and-paper answer exam, the answer sheet is scanned. They have the sheet, and they have the scanned result. They could, in principle, go back to the answer sheet itself to resolve how a question was answered. At some point the answer sheets are thrown away. The scanned results may remain. Do they have your exam then?

2. In the CBT environment, the equivalent of scanning is instantaneous, and no primary source exists. Do they have your exam?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:06 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for NOTHING ANYMORE!
College: Temple University

Wow. That is bad if in fact they cannot go back and check to make sure they didn't make a mistake. If not they are saying "we grade these perfectly without any mistakes ever." And that is just absurd. And for them to say that after the Course 8 issue that would be almost laughable. I am really losing faith in this organization.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:12 AM

Sounds like we need to get a receipt from the computer. Calling 2pac and voting machines references.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:18 AM

Default I feel your pain

The first time I did the exam, I got an impossible 2!
This time I thought i'd do the computer one. Felt I had a handle on things. To my surprise, when i'm expecting at worst a 5 since I felt I passed.....there's a big 4 on my slip.
I am trying to cheer up and move on. BUT IT'S HARD!!
Old 11-18-2005, 11:42 AM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheEagle
Sounds like we need to get a receipt from the computer. Calling 2pac and voting machines references.
diebold is in bed with th4 soa.

bush is dumb.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:12 PM

I agree with Gandalf. Try writing to them about this. To be so confident as to passing with flying colours but getting a 0 is too much of an extreme. I would not be surprised if something went wrong with the SOA system due to the change and especially when there were so many man-made errors in the November sitting. I also cannot see how they would not be able to retrieve the test that you wrote or at least some kind of information.

Keep writing to them and call to follow up. Ask for specific information such as number of questions answered, actual score.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:52 PM

Really feel sorry for cyc - I would surely not give up and make them sweat to furnish details to prove that it was actually ZERO.

The biggest motivation you have for yourself is the fact that you were pretty much sure that you passed - what magic SOA had done to turn that to ZERO.

Two points coming to my dumb mind (dumb after reading this post - so scary)

* Though ZERO does not mean 'zero' correct answers - I guess you have taken this into fact.
* There were some pilot Qs in the exam (dont know how many) - I hope the Qs which right for you werent pilot and the one you missed werent actual Qs. But this is weaker supporting fact per your explaination...would worry abt them.

Suggest to communicate with SOA via email/fax/courier/call all possible ways and all possible concern people - explaing disappointment may help and they may try their level best to dig around the info.

I wouldnt buy the fact that they do not have exam info for anyone..that's silly.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:01 PM
2005 Grammy Contest Winner

I think it is quite possible to believe that you got enough right to pass and end up failing miserably.

At least with me, in prior sittings, there is quite often a big disconnect between the number of questions that I thought I got right and the number of questions that I actually got right.

If there is a concern on this particular exam that needs to be pursued, the first information that is needed is, how many questions did you actually get right?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:20 PM

I totally agree with you.
I was pretty confident after I took the exam and expecting at least a 6.
But I didn't....I was so bumped out and did think there must be some sort of mistake…but then again, what am I suppose to do?….it’s their words against mine…right?

I like the CBT computerized style exam but I don't trust it completely. What if there is a clinch in the system and the solution set might not be the exam you took. I know it sounds ridiculous, but there is that one out of hundred or even thousand chances. What SOA tell you that they don’t the have exam since it’s CBT…that’s wrong. With our modern technology, it is so easy to store and to retrieve information. They are not being fair and I totally understand your anger.

I don’t know what else to tell you to cheer you up. We are in the same boat and we’ll just have to take the hit. I am planning to take the next exam and study my a$$ off for it. Let us know if you have any success debating with SOA.

Good Luck