Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Life Actuarial Jobs
& Annuities,

& Investments
Worldwide

Salary Surveys
Life & Health

Pension
Property & Casualty

DW Simpson & Co.
Actuarial
Recruitment
Worldwide

Casualty Jobs
& Property -- Worldwide
Reinsurance,

Insurance, Bureaus & Consulting

Old 12-20-2005, 06:27 PM
SOA

Default The Top Actuarial Consulting firms

I was just wondering how people would rate the top actuarial consulting firms (Towers, wyatt, Hewitt, Milliman, Mercer, buck, etc.) in terms of size and prestige (i.e. which firm is the largest/smallest and which firms are the most/least "prestigious" [i know this is a rather prententious term but i couldn't think of anything better]). in looking at their websites it is hard to get a good feel for how they compare to each other.

Also, what smaller consulting firms seem to be growing rapidly and could in several years be large players in the consulting industry?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:31 PM
AktŁerler Derneği

Is size a worthwhile/helpful measure?

Old 12-20-2005, 06:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Is size a worthwhile/helpful measure?
I'm just curious as a college student who has had phone interviews with several of the companies, which ones are much larger than the others.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:44 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

it's how they use the size they have that matters.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:45 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

you can check the soa database and search by comapny and credential and see what they say for relative size of credentialed folks.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier
it's how they use the size they have that matters.
LOL
Old 12-20-2005, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt406
I was just wondering how people would rate the top actuarial consulting firms (Towers, wyatt, Hewitt, Milliman, Mercer, buck, etc.) in terms of size and prestige (i.e. which firm is the largest/smallest and which firms are the most/least "prestigious" [i know this is a rather prententious term but i couldn't think of anything better]). in looking at their websites it is hard to get a good feel for how they compare to each other.

Also, what smaller consulting firms seem to be growing rapidly and could in several years be large players in the consulting industry?
FWIW, I think experience at any one of those companies would be adequate to get a job at any other of those companies for an average employee. Beyond that, it depends on the location. My feeling with pension consulting is that it's better to be a small fish in a big pond than a small fish in a small pond.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:26 PM

I think Mercer is the top with Wyatt 2nd. Mercer has 15,000 employees to Wyatt's 6,000.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERS684
I think Mercer is the top with Wyatt 2nd. Mercer has 15,000 employees to Wyatt's 6,000.
But how about just actuarial consullting? Mercer has huge admin and HR consulting.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:19 AM
AktŁerler Derneği

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummy Venus de Milo
My feeling with pension consulting is that it's better to be a small fish in a big pond than a small fish in a small pond.
I disagree. Based on my experience you tend to get much bet experience (i.e. you get to see more sooner) at a smaller shop.