Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > VEE > Statistics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Meet the Employees of DW Simpson
Patty Jacobsen Simpson, Bob Morand, Kristyn Sakelaris, Sean Loboda, KC Cho, Maureen Matous, Ellen Page
Aaron Benton, Becki Tobia, Kimberly Skora, Margit Vogele, Barclay Burns, Jason Blundy, Dan Karrow, Tom Troceen
Valorie Mulder, Marianne Westphal, Carol Lee, Jennifer Retford, Kieran Welsh-Phillips, Lindsey Nelson, Emily Paxton
Angie Wachholz, Derek Mulder, Julie Garwood, Caitlin Cunningham, David Benton, Dave Retford, Sarah Cleveland, Rhonda Glick
Genevieve Shannon, Meghan Bautista, Carol Datu, Barb Rave, Jesus Perez, Dan Kane, Chris Zdenek, Scott Simon, Kriss Wells

Old 01-25-2006, 09:56 AM

Default p-value and level of significance

Can someone please explain to me how they are related and how they are different? All i understood was level of significance = P( reject H0 / H0 is true)= P(type 1 error)

and p-value is the likelihood of type 1 error.
But i am still not sure i understood p-value clearly.
How do we calculate p-value?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:24 AM
CAS

Studying for CAS 8
Favorite beer: Blue Moon

They're the same thing.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:18 PM
CAS

To a first approximation they are the same.

However, here is a typical example.
One would choose to test a hypotheis at for example the 10% significance level. (In practical applications and some exam questions, the significance level is chosen in advance, prior to performing the test or seeing the data.)

If the p-value is greater than 10%, for example 14%, then we would not reject H0 at the 10% significance level.
If the p-value is less than 10%, for example 8%, then we would reject H0 at the 10% significance level.

I hope this helps a little.

Howard Mahler
Old 01-26-2006, 12:42 AM

Default p-value vs level of significance

I like to think of the significance level as a benchmark as to what the p-value must be in order to accept/reject the hypothesis test. However, the significance level also plays a part in constructing confidence intervals and/or prediction intervals. When constructing a confidence interval you again are using a significance level or benchmark which determines how wide the interval will be and with how much confidence you are sure the parameter estimate is within the interval. Here is a thought for confidence intervals: The higher the significance level the wider the confidence interval is. i.e. If you are 99% sure the parameter estimate falls within the confidence interval it had better be quite wide. Where as if you use a 70% interval you are not that sure and the interval will be smaller.

When I think of p-value, I think actual probability. In a hypothesis test you are testing an observed sample and calculating a probability of Ho being true. Of course once you have this actual probability you will compare it to the benchmark(significance level) to see whether the hypothesis test is accepted or rejected.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:51 AM

Thanks.I think i now get it
Old 01-26-2006, 11:03 AM
CAS

Studying for CAS 8
Favorite beer: Blue Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cek
I like to think of the significance level as a benchmark as to what the p-value must be in order to accept/reject the hypothesis test. However, the significance level also plays a part in constructing confidence intervals and/or prediction intervals. When constructing a confidence interval you again are using a significance level or benchmark which determines how wide the interval will be and with how much confidence you are sure the parameter estimate is within the interval. Here is a thought for confidence intervals: The higher the significance level the wider the confidence interval is. i.e. If you are 99% sure the parameter estimate falls within the confidence interval it had better be quite wide. Where as if you use a 70% interval you are not that sure and the interval will be smaller.

When I think of p-value, I think actual probability. In a hypothesis test you are testing an observed sample and calculating a probability of Ho being true. Of course once you have this actual probability you will compare it to the benchmark(significance level) to see whether the hypothesis test is accepted or rejected.
I think this is a good explaination... just dont get confused... becuase they are the exact same number.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:17 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing ever again
Favorite beer: Corona Light

yes it is. thanks for posting that.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:21 PM

Default The Same?

The probability of accepting Ho when Ho is true and the likelihood of the sample being of the same form as Ho are not the same thing.
They are quite different. Depending on the profession in which the statistical analysis is being performed, the significance level will vary. For example, in the medical profession someone may want to use a 1% significance level where as a statistician may use a 10% significance level. The significance level is a matter of how precise you ought to be or how much fluctuation you can tolerate. However, given the same problem, the p-value calculation will be the same in both fields. The significance level is an assumption. The p-value is an actual calculation or probability.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:08 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam C
College: Georgia State University - Alumni
Favorite beer: Stella!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Mahler
To a first approximation they are the same.

However, here is a typical example.
One would choose to test a hypotheis at for example the 10% significance level. (In practical applications and some exam questions, the significance level is chosen in advance, prior to performing the test or seeing the data.)

If the p-value is greater than 10%, for example 14%, then we would not reject H0 at the 10% significance level.
If the p-value is less than 10%, for example 8%, then we would reject H0 at the 10% significance level.

I hope this helps a little.

Howard Mahler
I am having trouble following some examples of obtaining the p-values, specifically for an F-statistic. I'm just not seeing it. Can you perhaps come up with an example and show me how to get the p-value using the tables?