Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:56 PM
SOA

Don't forget that translating your salary into a per/hour rate would probably put you above any accountant and close to a lot of bankers..
Old 04-03-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bühlmann
If your goal is to be rich and live like Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, don't bother being an actuary. However, you do make good money.
If this is in reponse to my post then, I would not consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by money
Accountants, anyone in banking (mostly in mortgage or financing NOT I-Banking), any computer software/network engineers and developers and people involved with real estate.
to be people that live the lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. In fact I only consider a small percentage of lawyers (have a JD not meaning practicing)
< 20% to live lifestyles of the rich and famous.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:12 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSAwannabe
Don't forget that translating your salary into a per/hour rate would probably put you above any accountant and close to a lot of bankers..
Only if you count hours on the clock.

For students sitting for exams, if you throw in the hours of personal study time, the per-hour number drops to something rather depressing.

Once upon a time, in a forum far, far away, there were informal salary surveys that did a reasonable job of modeling CAS-oriented salaries based on exams, length of experience, cost-of-living-ness, and nature of work.

Perhaps some enterprising soul could resurrect the concept to supplement the survey provided by our kind hosts.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:15 PM

If you have an aptitude for biology and chemistry, how about being a pharmicist? They make $90k+ right out of school
Old 04-03-2006, 02:48 PM

Studying for kampftrinken spiele!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfohio
If you have an aptitude for biology and chemistry, how about being a pharmicist? They make $90k+ right out of school
But that 90k doesn't move much from there, goes towards 6 years of school (I'm assuming that you are talking about a Pharm. D. program), oh yeah and this is what cracked me up you have to pay to be an intern.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:51 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfohio
How do you define "right out of school"?
I think the Pharm programs can take a while and cost a bit
Old 04-03-2006, 03:12 PM

Favorite beer: Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSAwannabe
How do you define "right out of school"?
I think the Pharm programs can take a while and cost a bit
most are Doctorate programs, IIRC.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:07 PM
CAS

Studying for CAS Exam 9
Favorite beer: Corona

Once you are fully credentialed, your salary should either be very close to six figures or over it (sometimes substantially over it). How many other fields can you even make six figures in without much more schooling/work demands?? Most of my friends are engineers and have very little hope for ever making six figures no matter how much time they put into their careers.

The salaries don't look THAT amazing while you are still taking tests, but there seem to be huge jumps once you obtain your ASA/ACAS and FSA/FCAS. I know in my student program we get a $5000 raise for ACAS along with the exam raise for 7, which means a raise of $8500 for that one test. For FCAS we get a $5000 additional raise as well so along with the exam raise for 9, that is a raise of $9500 for that one test.

In fact, if a person were to pass 7, 8 an 9 in succession, without failing, his/her salary would increase by $22,000 just based on passing those exams, in a matter of a year and a half. Then add in the bonuses for passing the tests, additional performance raises for clearing the exam/working hard, etc and the compensation you get doesn't look half bad.

About pharmacy, it is a great deal of schooling and often out of school, from what I hear, you get stuck with the bad shifts at the pharmacy (graveyard shift).

Last edited by Turkey Club; 04-07-2006 at 11:11 PM..
Old 04-08-2006, 12:36 PM

Studying for Life
Favorite beer: Free Beer

Most actuaries make between 95k-130k. You'll make more, possibly much more, if you become an officer.

We pay students out of school 45k if they have an exam.

The pay is okay but not as much as other professions. Big deal, the work is interesting and so are the people you'll work with. You'll also work fewer hours than most jobs. Most actuaries only work about 50 hrs a week (more and some weekend work at year end.) Believe me this is a hell of alot less than most other professions so there is a tradeoff between lifestyle and money.
Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft. For more information on Grand Funk consult your local library.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:40 PM

Studying for Life
Favorite beer: Free Beer

Most actuaries make between 95k-130k. You'll make more, possibly much more, if you become an officer.

We pay students out of school 45k if they have an exam.

The pay is okay but not as much as other professions. Big deal, the work is interesting and so are the people you'll work with. You'll also work fewer hours than most jobs. Most actuaries only work about 50 hrs a week (more and some weekend work at year end.) Believe me this is a hell of alot less than most other professions so there is a tradeoff between lifestyle and money.

Pharmacy? Do you really want to spend the next 45 years putting pills in bottles?
Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft. For more information on Grand Funk consult your local library.