Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:29 AM

Thumbs down H1Bs and Actuary jobs

It is common knowledge that most actuary firms donot embrace the idea of hiring international students after graduation to avoid the paperwork involved.

1> Is this a healthy direction since the IT industry has greatly benifitted from international students.

2> Should international students consider studying actuarial science in US as their chances of getting hired sounds bleak?
Old 07-29-2006, 11:47 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchcha
1> Is this a healthy direction since the IT industry has greatly benifitted from international students.
Until there is a shortage of workers with citizenship, I doubt things will loosen up.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:39 PM
CAS SOA COPA

Favorite beer: Westmalle Tripel

By 1> do you mean how IT jobs are getting outsourced to India?
Old 07-29-2006, 02:57 PM

The main problem my firm finds is that internationals view the two careers as similar, or at least approach getting hired similarly.

A Chinese (since that's what we see the most of) student can contribute to a lot of IT projects with a minimal English.

Actuarial work, that's just not true.

If there were a lot of foreign students with great English skills and great aptitude for actuarial work, then people would move to hire them.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:37 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for whatever I feel like
College: Alumnus of Brown and UW-Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley
The main problem my firm finds is that internationals view the two careers as similar, or at least approach getting hired similarly.

A Chinese (since that's what we see the most of) student can contribute to a lot of IT projects with a minimal English.

Actuarial work, that's just not true.

If there were a lot of foreign students with great English skills and great aptitude for actuarial work, then people would move to hire them.
I will add the obvious: it doesn't really matter where you study in college or, indeed what field you major in. What does matter is that you pass some SOA/CAS examinations. Secondly, as Westley says, you must be able to communicate reasonably well in English to be considered for an actuarial job by most companies.

Brad

Brad

Spoiler:
Obama sucks and we all know it-TDA

Spoiler:

That's been the funniest subplot of this whole thing, the people on the left attacking this bill for not being even more of a steaming pile. - erosewater
Old 07-29-2006, 10:29 PM

I agree with Westley and Brad. I have seen international students in all major actuarial firms, be they consulting or insurance. Consulting firms are very willing to hire international students as long as they have good communication skills and have exhibited their ability to pass the actuarial exams. The cost to apply for H-1b will easily be covered with a month of billing. The problem is, many students think that this is an easy industry that offers great salary and they therefore all expect to be hired but forget the fact that they also need certain skills before they can be considered.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley
What do you mean by great english skills. How does one(international student) measure it...I donot beleive in the standardised tests...
Old 07-30-2006, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchcha
What do you mean by great english skills. How does one(international student) measure it...I donot beleive in the standardised tests...
Code red.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelling Policeman
Code red.
I dont get you. Is that a joke??
Old 07-30-2006, 08:36 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing ever again
Favorite beer: Corona Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelling Policeman