Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS - From Entry to Fellow

Old 12-04-2006, 06:37 PM
scientist population control
SOA AAA

Studying for parenthood
College: University of Capitalism
Favorite beer: Dead Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Wait, so he cuts his monthly rent 40% for leaving the room unoccupied less than 25% of the month?

Tell him he owes you $100.
I didn't make this connection, I had assumed $100 was approx. 25% of the rent. Even if you do agree with the fact that he should be able to rub off a weeks worth of rent, he owes you money. If $100 is about 40%, he pays roughly $250 a month. Gone for a week, he would only be able to knock off $60. That man owes you at least a keg.
Or several rounds of quality draft beer followed by a lap dance from a dark haired hottie.

And I have plans to repaint several rooms in my house later in December and he offered tonight to help paint for reduced rent (since he's done so many houses in the past). Can I get my money back in services?
Old 12-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Tybo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
And I have plans to repaint several rooms in my house later in December and he offered tonight to help paint for reduced rent (since he's done so many houses in the past). Can I get my money back in services?
If by "services" you mean "several rounds of quality draft beer followed by a lap dance from a dark haired hottie" then yes, you can get your money back in services.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:51 PM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

I'm annoyed by the commercials for the show "Top Chef". They feature the host of the show saying "I love everything about food! Food excites me!". However, the host is a skinny woman who looks like she barely eats.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:55 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneGirl View Post
I'm annoyed by the commercials for the show "Top Chef". They feature the host of the show saying "I love everything about food! Food excites me!". However, the host is a skinny woman who looks like she barely eats.
she could be one of those people with an obscene metabolism (that should die, btw :-p)

A friend of mine is like that - all she eats is junk (sweeties and baked goods) and food that's bad for you (pastas and red meats), yet she weighs like 80 lbs and never has a pinch of fat on her at all. She recent started going to the gym for her job (EMT), but before that she rarely (if ever?) went.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Tybo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Quote:
she could be one of those people with an obscene metabolism (that should die, btw :-p)

A friend of mine is like that - all she eats is junk (sweeties and baked goods) and food that's bad for you (pastas and red meats), yet she weighs like 80 lbs and never has a pinch of fat on her at all. She recent started going to the gym for her job (EMT), but before that she rarely (if ever?) went.
I'm the same way. I eat a lot of carbs and red meat and still stay pretty thin. On the plus side though, I have cut fast food out of my diet (finally) and I do play basketball every week. Oh, and I'm not a chick and I weigh way more than 80lbs.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:36 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Oaked Arrogant *******

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post
Quote:
I'm annoyed by that new song "Fergulicious". Not only is the song itself annoying, but what really annoys me is the fact that throughout the song they misspell the word "tasty". Bad spelling annoys me!
That new Will Smith movie is called "pursuit of happyness"

I'm so confused--is this for a reason, or a genuine spelling error that they missed? Or something in between. If the latter, what's the "in between"?????
The autobiographical book the movied is based upon contains the spelling error. The main character taught himself to read and write, and apparently didn't have an editor.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:42 PM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedbee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post

That new Will Smith movie is called "pursuit of happyness"

I'm so confused--is this for a reason, or a genuine spelling error that they missed? Or something in between. If the latter, what's the "in between"?????
The autobiographical book the movied is based upon contains the spelling error. The main character taught himself to read and write, and apparently didn't have an editor.
I read somewhere that the word happiness is misspelled in the title because the main character saw it misspelled on a sign outside a daycare I think.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:43 PM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Quote:

I have a friend whose the same way. She eats a candy bar every afternoon at work and drinks regular soda all day long and never gains an ounce. In fact, she doesn't work out because she says she's already too skinny and doesn't need to lose weight.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:07 PM

Have you noticed the portion sizes of top chef? You couldn't get fat eating things that little if you tried! [assuming, of course, that you couldn't just eat as many 'portions' as you wished, which is often the case here...]
Old 12-19-2006, 03:09 PM
2010 Winner2011 Winner
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanz View Post
Have you noticed the portion sizes of top chef? You couldn't get fat eating things that little if you tried! [assuming, of course, that you couldn't just eat as many 'portions' as you wished, which is often the case here...]
Except for the night they made entrees for TGI Friday's. You could get fat on some of those.