From Actuarial Outpost Wiki
Main Site: http://www.actuarialsociety.org.za/
Fellowship to the Society is gained through exams written through other recognised actuarial organisations, mostly the Institute of Actuaries in London or the Faculty of Actuaries in Edinburgh. Fellows may add FASSA (Fellow of the Actuarial Society of South Africa) after their names.
- The Actuarial Society of South Africa held its inaugural meeting on 22 December 1948.
- SA 56-62 Mortality Tables are published in 1966
- ASSA's first annual Convention is held in Sea Point in 1972
- The first Murray Medal is awarded to Tom Murray in 1973
- The JSE-Actuaries Index is launched in 1978
- Volume 1 of the South African Actuarial Journal is published in 2001
- The current ASSA President is Adrian Baskir and the President-Elect is Garth Griffin.
- At the moment, there is work going on to implement a South Africa specific exam system.
Past Presidents of ASSA
By convention ASSA presidents take office following the AGM at ASSA Conventions, usually held in October or November. In 2001 their term was changed from one to two years and the office of Immediate Past President was abolished.
- 1948- D Spence-Fraser
- 1988-1989 Donald Fabian
- 1992-1993 Peter Milburn-Pyle
- 1993-1994 Mike Levett
- 1994-1995 Douglas Keir
- 1995-1996 Desmond Smith
- 1996-1997 Steve Handler
- 1997-1998 Reg Munro
- 1998-1999 Blignault Gouws
- 1999-2000 Paul Truyens
- 2000-2001 Mike Codron
- 2001-2003 Joubert Ferraira
- 2003-2005 Janina Slawski
- 2005-2007 Adrian Baskir