Home › Forums › SOA Exams › Word Capabilities – Prometric › Reply To: Word Capabilities – Prometric
December 18, 2020 at 4:28 pm #1476
I know this is late but since I just went through this I thought I’d share my experience for others. Word did have spell check enabled and autocorrect automatically set up on mine. Autocorrect was more of a hindrance than a help for me.
Most annoying issues with written CBTs (Even though the documentation warned me and I practiced this way)
- Some commonly used shortcuts are disabled while others were not – you cannot bold using shortcuts but you can underline using shortcuts
- Manually switching screens – I caught myself trying to use keyboard shortcuts out of habit
Things I wish I knew before I took my first written CBT exam:
- Ctrl+V never pasted graphs/tables right for me, so I had to use the mouse to paste them into the Word file.
- Staff at the Prometric site are terrible with tech issues. They didn’t know how to fix issues and only offered to move me to another workstation. I tried to get a tech issue report so that it could be sent to the SOA, but couldn’t so I just did the best I could. Luckily I only lost 5 minutes so I didn’t press the issue.
- The exam instructions may not reflect reality. Exam instructions said the workspace shortcut would be on the taskbar and was not. The shortcut for me was on the desktop so I had to minimize the exam windows to get to the desktop.
- There were no horizontal scroll bars when reducing the size of the exam window, so I could see the exam questions PDF, but I could not scroll over to see the time so I had to leave the window maximized.
- I could have had food and drink in my locker to have during a break since we get 15 additional minutes for a break. I just couldn’t access electronics or study material. I just powered through though.