Home Forums SOA Exams Word Capabilities – Prometric Reply To: Word Capabilities – Prometric

alphamu13
Participant

I know this is late but since I just went through this I thought I’d share my experience for others. Word did have spell check enabled and autocorrect automatically set up on mine. Autocorrect was more of a hindrance than a help for me.

Most annoying issues with written CBTs (Even though the documentation warned me and I practiced this way)

• Some commonly used shortcuts are disabled while others were not – you cannot bold using shortcuts but you can underline using shortcuts
    • Manually switching screens – I caught myself trying to use keyboard shortcuts out of habit

Things I wish I knew before I took my first written CBT exam:

• Ctrl+V never pasted graphs/tables right for me, so I had to use the mouse to paste them into the Word file.
    • Staff at the Prometric site are terrible with tech issues. They didn’t know how to fix issues and only offered to move me to another workstation. I tried to get a tech issue report so that it could be sent to the SOA, but couldn’t so I just did the best I could. Luckily I only lost 5 minutes so I didn’t press the issue.
    • The exam instructions may not reflect reality. Exam instructions said the workspace shortcut would be on the taskbar and was not. The shortcut for me was on the desktop so I had to minimize the exam windows to get to the desktop.
    • There were no horizontal scroll bars when reducing the size of the exam window, so I could see the exam questions PDF, but I could not scroll over to see the time  so I had to leave the window maximized.
    • I could have had food and drink in my locker to have during a break since we get 15 additional minutes for a break. I just couldn’t access electronics or study material. I just powered through though.