Home Forums CAS Exams Letter to the CAS

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    resact26
    Participant

I know this might sound like a crazy idea but I wanted to get your feedback.

Does anyone think it would be a worthwhile endeavor to try send a letter or some form of communication to the CAS signed by candidates formally requesting that they push back the spring exam window?

In light of how late results are being released, I don’t think this is an unreasonable request. I understand why people would not want to reveal their names. I wonder if this could somehow be done anonymously.

Feel free to share this on GoActuary as well.

resact26
      Participant

Petition is the word I was looking for.

act_123
        Participant

No. I don’t think that is a good idea.

resact26
          Participant

Ok fair enough. Any particular reason for your opinion?

Actuarialed
            Participant

Not sure what good it will do

act_123
              Participant

You aren’t going to make them grade faster.  It would just create discontent.  They might not be enthralled with your letter and you might be further annoyed that they ignore you.

resact26
                Participant

It’s not about grading at this point. Since we’re not going to get results till possibly mid February, that’s now less than three months to prepare for May. I’m fine if they take their time since that’s what they decided on but should that be our problem?

Red
                  Participant

Well, to put it bluntly, we are candidates, so yeah, it becomes our problem, and that’s life I guess. Let’s just get the cards we are dealt with and try to play the best hand as we can.

TryhardActuary
                    Participant

Yeah it’s not going to be effective. The only way CAS would take it seriously is if a significant number of current candidates sign the petition but it won’t garner that many. Also, it appears CAS has accepted that its priority is to bring May Spring sitting and October Fall sitting back into their normalcy at the cost of messed up Spring 2021 sitting.

CAS isn’t going to budge.

resact26
                      Participant

That’s the reason they get away with this cause no one wants to challenge the status quo. It is what it is.

Tigger0209
                        Participant

I think that pushing back exam would be fair, but at this point costly to manage all exams already booked. We could try. I would be inclined to appeal to CAS to be more transparent. I feel like communication is really breaking down and CAS just makes any changes without any explanations. It hurts the relationship with the candidates and does damage to CAS image.  I would appeal the disclosure/discussion of questions too. How will study aids adapt to new syllbus and exam formats if they can’t look at past exam questions. How can we possibly prepare if we don’t know what type of questions to expect? We are conditioned to accept whatever comes our way and it’s very unfortunate that we we have no voice.

If study window is cut and changes to qualifications come in the fall, it especially looks bad. You get a sense they want more  people to fail and be subject to new rules.

saul goodman
                          Participant

Put together a petition and people will either sign or not sign it.  See what happens.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.