Home Forums General Actuarial Continuing Ed Requirements

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    x_chuck_x
    Participant

First year to have to attest. So, I had a few questions regarding the CE requirements.

1. Job-Relevant. That seems pretty broad. Isn’t it pretty much all relevant? Let’s say I take a course on computer programming, or Excel, or VBA. Not specific to actuarial, but still relevant. Does that count? Or would that be on the business and management skills subsection?

2. Exam-Study – Is that job-relevant? It seems like it would be. If not, a revamping of the exam processes is in order.

3. Self-study. So, reading stuff that is relevant? Actuarial review articles? ASOPS?

JollyGoodFCAS
      Participant

Here is the text from the Qualification Standards for Actuaries paper:

2.2.7 Relevant Continuing Education — Continuing education is “relevant” if: (1) it
        broadens or deepens an actuary’s understanding of one or more aspects of the work an
        actuary does; (2) the material expands an actuary’s knowledge of practice in related
        disciplines that bear directly on an actuary’s work; or (3) it facilitates an actuary’s entry into
        a new area of practice. Ultimately, it is an actuary’s responsibility to make a reasonable,
        good-faith determination of what continuing education opportunities will enhance an
        actuary’s ability to practice in a desired field.
        Relevant continuing education includes not only technical topics in the actuary’s area of
        practice, but also includes business and consulting skills topics and professionalism topics.
        Examples of business and consulting skills topics include, but are not limited to, client
        relationship management, presentation skills, communication skills, project management,
        and personnel management

Yes, “job-relevant” is pretty broad, not sure I would include computer programming though. I suppose you could try but I wouldn’t put that to the test if I were being audited.

CAS exam study definitely counts, and I suppose CFA and CPCU would as well. If you’re studying to be a rabbi, well….

Self-study is a great way to get continuing ed. Studying ASOPs is common among actuaries who on Christmas realize that they are falling short of their 3 hours of professionalism and need to do something about it. Variance is also a common way people get credits by reading stuff. All you need is 6 hours of organized activities and you’re good.

In a previous job I was able to claim credit by participating in Actuarial Committee meetings. If you’re in P&C I recommend Pinnacle APEX webinars – they are free and contain some good actuarial info.

x_chuck_x
        Participant

APEX is a go to. I did the one yesterday and have signed up for the one on December 3. So, I’ve already gotten the 6 hours of organized via that. I am just finishing up a course on Excel VBA. It’s a 22 hour online course through Udemy. Excel VBA comes in handy sometimes. I’m not just taking it for fun. I might put it under the business skills instead.

JollyGoodFCAS
          Participant

Looks like the 12/3 APEX will be good for professionalism. Also look at this virtual summit – the sessions are on demand and looks like some of the insurance talks will be worth some credit.

https://summit.earnix.com/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.