Home Forums SOA Exams Do I have to take Exam SRM?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Omar Admani
    Participant

Hello,

I passed Exam P and Exam FM in 2008. I have done a year of Master’s in Statistics from Columbia University. This was between 2009-2010. After that, my father got ill and I switched countries. For the last 12 years, I have traded stocks here. I would like to become an Actuary once again.

As such, I was trying to figure out which exam should I take?

Note that while at Columbia I took several statistics courses, but I am not sure whether that qualifies as VEE (the requirements were different before). For instance, I took Stochastic Processes, Probability Theory, Linear Regression Models, and Statistical Inference.

Do I need to take the SRM Exam?

And, if so, do you suggest that I take that as my third exam? Note that I am following the SOA route.

I appreciate your help.

Thank You.

German Altgelt
      Participant

I guess the quick answer is that you better contact CAS or SOA with your questions. They did help me in my case.

Either one has a set of exams for you to pass. In very rare exceptions they may take from a couple of universities a couple of the exams. But for the rest of the mortals we have to go through the current set of exams. They have some exams that are the main route, and side exams for intermediate access to some kind of certification. Only for VEE type of exams they take other certifications from accredited schools. The list of accredited schools and courses is in their websites.

In SOA: https://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/edu-vee/

At first sight you may need a Financial one and Economics, based on my experience, prior to some changes in the curricula.

I would look at each VEE and see if any of your courses taken at Columbia work as a valid one.

Re SRM:  this is what they told me for my case:

Accredited Exam SRM (through VEE Applied Statistics transition credit). It was accredited due to my VEE at that time. You may need to ask them for more specifics that apply to your case

German Altgelt
        Participant

For next I suggest Financial Math or any of the VEEs

Xing Fan
          Participant

Yeah, you should. Please check out this page https://www.coachingactuaries.com/2022-soa-changes/

<audio style=”display: none;” controls=”controls”></audio>

Xing Fan
            Participant

Yeah, you should. Please check out this page

https://www.coachingactuaries.com/2022-soa-changes/

<audio style=”display: none;” controls=”controls”></audio>

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.