Home Forums CAS Exams Fall 2020 Exam 6U Unexpected Fail

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Sijun Liu
    Participant

Did anyone just receive their Exam 6U result and think it’s unexpected? I calculated the points of the questions that I wasn’t sure or left blank during the exam (yeah, I did have that time), and there were only 9 points in total. For the rest of my answers, I was confident. Based on the historical records, candidates can have roughly 20 points to be deducted to still pass the exam. That means for my answers that I was already confident, 11 more points were deducted. If they deduct points 0.25 by 0.25, that means I had >40 places wrong that I’m totally not aware of, which is very unlikely. Even if they raised the bar, I think I would still have enough buffer to pass the exam.

Since this time they’re not releasing the exam, would anyone have an idea the best anyone could possibly get from scoring verification?

act_123
      Participant

I took exam 6 five years ago.  They take off a nice chunk of points on every question for not being specific or adding something incorrect.  So if you lose 0.5 points and 1 point here and there it adds up.

My first attempt at it I got a 5 and there wasn’t much I didn’t know then.  My second attempt I got a 6 and thought I dominated it.  It’s just a higher threshhold with partial credit.

residualagent
        Participant

Very frustrating, but that makes sense.  Here’s to hoping 3rd time is a charm!

jimactuary725
          Participant

I got a 5 this sitting again and walked out knowing I passed after studying for a 10. There is something very wrong with the grading of this exam, I know several people that thought they passed and failed. The CAS has screwed up but will never admit it. There is no way I missed that many points to fail and yet there is nothing we can do. What the CAS should do is look at at the pass rates again. They only allowed everyone one sitting this year and in doing so people were much more prepared and those that were not were given the option not to take and most took it. As such there should have been a much greater passing number as a percent of who took the exam when compared to prior years. The CAS is loosing the faith of many candidates and by revisiting and revising, will show that they care about us. The process was clearly rushed and there is no shame in validating. Not to mention we all took the exam during covid, risking our health and safety, and I highly doubt any consideration was given.

residualagent
            Participant

Yeah I am not sure where I went wrong either.  I ended up with a 5 as well.  Due to time, there was one question I wasn’t able to finish completely so I know I left a few points on the table.  There was one part of a question I didn’t know and wrote something (which I now know was completely wrong) but that was .25, and one other question I was unsure about but thought I could squeak out partial credit.  I must have made a lot of other errors along the way, because I felt pretty confident about the rest.

I wonder what the comprehensive grade report will show.  Although not the most helpful when you don’t have the questions.

act_123
              Participant

It certainly possible they raised the MQC so only x% pass.

No one here knows the secret sauce.  Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do.

If it makes you feel better, just don’t give up!  I know a guy who took exam 6 i think 8 times one 4, 6 5s, and one pass…  And most of the sittings was when it was offered once a year.  So I encourage you guys to keep trying.

Sijun Liu
                Participant

My situation is like everyone else here – a 5 again, and I got a 5 a year ago. CAS really needs to make the process transparent …

act_123
                  Participant

Yeah I understand.  I sent a myriad of appeals on exam 6 in the past.  Always just stated the following: “Your appeal was rejected”

Sijun Liu
                    Participant

If my appeal is rejected, I guess in additional to studying the materials, I’ll spend some time studying how they score. Looks like that’s more important than the materials …

act_123
                      Participant

Unfortunately, you do need to know that.  Understanding the examiner’s report is helpful.

Olmstead
                        Participant

I’d definetly appeal if youre confident you passed. You’re right there’s no transparency but no other option unfortunately

jimactuary725
                          Participant

You need grounds for an appeal and saying we think we passed does not work… we don’t get crap back so do not know anything. CAS is going down in flames and fast, candidates are their future members so they are doing themselves a disservice! Only reason I stay is being so close to my ACAS else I would be SoA all the way!

residualagent
                            Participant

I don’t think there is even an “appeals” process anymore.  The best you can do is the score verification.  There is another thread on it, but Josh also has a note in his TIA Blog:

“Since the exam questions and solutions will no longer be released, there will be no more appeals process for students to appeal their solutions as valid. There will be a scoring verification request for a $50 fee, but this will only confirm that your scores were recorded, and will not result a re-grading of your exam in any way.”

Psych14
                              Participant

Anyone know how to cancel an exam? I signed up for 2 based on results this time being late.

Sijun Liu
                                Participant

They have refund policy at the bottom of this page. Not sure if the procedure has changed during covid.

https://www.casact.org/admissions/syllabus/index.cfm?fa=exam_reg#refunds

Sijun Liu
                                  Participant

I did see somewhere saying answer sheets will not be re-graded, but I would appreciate at least a little more transparency. When I mentioned the 9 points that I wasn’t sure, I’ve already included the ones that I wrote “something”. Too hard to imagine how that 9 points could have jumped to 20, or even 15…

What’s worse is that if I can’t know how I failed this time, I’m not sure how to pass it next time because this is not about studying hard anymore …

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 34 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.