Fall 2021 ILA-LFM

Home Forums SOA Exams Fall 2021 ILA-LFM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    actuarialswagger
    Participant

Starting a thread for the fall sitting of LFM to post about study habits, tips, questions, etc. Let’s try to make this an active forum!

suen1212
    Participant

Hi, Which study manual are you using?

Bears Fan Dave
    Participant

I agree, would LOVE an active forum here!

I’m using TIA.  Wish there was more birds-eye, high-level intro to some of this stuff (loved the way they set up the CARVM material).  Plan to finish the GAAP section today.  Feeling pretty ‘meh’ about it all, but not sure how much of that should be expected on a first pass through this material.

Bruins46
    Participant

Using TIA as well.

I have similar thoughts of the first pass. Just have to grind through the material and absorb as much as you can. For me, studying is always difficult starting out, but I’m starting to find my groove (and starting to say goodbye to my social life). Ready for a challenging few months ahead.

actuarialswagger
    Participant

Hey everyone, I’m also using TIA. I felt the same way during my first pass, now going through it again a second time and hoping some things start to click. My plan is to start getting more serious in September and then really clamping down in October. I need to remember I also didn’t know what I was doing at this point in my LPM studying, because it’s easy to get lost with so much material.

Bears Fan Dave
    Participant

Just finished my first pass through the TIA material last night.

My plan (at the moment… subject to change) is to now make a full second pass.  It’s a struggle with so much material, I barely remember the early STAT stuff.  Hoping I can get through this pass relatively quickly, so everything stays a bit more refreshed in my mind.

actuarialswagger
    Participant

I’ve started to go through a second time and just began going through flash cards. Knock on wood, but I’ve felt like the flash cards have been pretty reasonable despite not seeing the material for over a month. I at least am enjoying the flash cards more than I did for LPM, which just seemed like list after list.

Bears Fan Dave
    Participant

that’s really good to hear.  I haven’t done any flashcards yet, but agree that I didn’t like them at all for LPM (or LAM for that matter, so maybe I just don’t like flashcards??).

cdnmBK201
    Participant

There are less flash cards, but the answers are all so long, so I think it takes more time to go through them than either LPM or LAM. The amount of processes and lists of steps is a lot to take in. Seems like the material is a lot denser than LPM or LAM. I am also on my second material pass now.

Bears Fan Dave
    Participant

Just finished the STAT section of my 2nd pass.

The good news is that the material feels like it’s sticking MUCH better than the first pass.

The bad news is that there is still a ton of material left, and I’m not sure how much of this will remain forefront in my brain enough after going through the rest of the syllabus.  I guess we’ll see.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.