Home Forums CAS Exams Pearson Exam Cancellations

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    bballboylilj11
    Participant

I am an actuary in Chicago and just got an email that my exam was reschedule from December 9th, to January 9th in Minnesota!! Has this happened for anybody else?

Marco De Virgilis
      Participant

Hi, same here. I am in Chicago and I was supposed to take the exam December 1. It has been moved to December 31.
        You can reschedule to another date or another test center. Unfortunately no test centers or dates are available anymore. I called the CAS and they said that further communications will follow. This exam session has been a disaster

chiu524484
        Participant

Same here! Mine changed from Dec 7th to Dec 31st in Minnesota too.

Catmao
          Participant

Same here. My exam in Schaumburg was rescheduled to January 7th in Minnesota too. I have checked other locations in IL, including Peoria and Springfield, and there is nothing available in December! I called CAS, and they let me send email to acs@casact.org, and provide your exam info.
            This is on CAS website (COVID-19 EXAM RESCHEDULING PROCEDURE):
            “The CAS will work with affected candidates to reschedule the exam for the first available date within the exam window of November 19 to December 9, 2020, in accordance with Pearson guidelines. If the first available testing date is outside of the current exam window, the exam window will be extended until December 31, 2020. The 2020 fall exam sitting will conclude on that day. If the candidate is unable to reschedule the exam prior to December 31, 2020, the exam registration will be refunded.”

oliviaie
            Participant

Did anyone else just get an email from Pearson indicating you could sign up for the exam again? Essentially the same email we got months ago, no changed dates or anything.

Marco De Virgilis
              Participant

Yes, I did receive it. The last date on the email is December 9 but there is nothing available on the Pearson VUE website

hawkeye1414
                Participant

Same here, was hoping for some actual information, but looks like just a repeat of the original email with the same exam dates.

Anyone else extremely frustrated that there is ZERO communication from the CAS? No email responses, no posts on the website… Completely understandable that you have to figure out a game plan, but how about a post of “Hey everyone, we know there are issues right now, sit tight and we’ll figure it out”. I know people that have rescheduled for exam centers over 6 hours away. A little leadership and communication would go a long way.

oliviaie
                  Participant

Yes, it’s infuriating that the best response they could come up with was “we’ll get you more info the week of the 30th.” Half of our exams were supposed to be that week. Not sure how that is helpful at all. I sent them an email stating they could start by actually allowing us to book dates between Dec 9 – Dec 31. I got through to Pearson and they said CAS has not authorized the extension yet.

hawkeye1414
                    Participant

Ugh I didn’t hear that about the 30th. What are we supposed to do in the meantime? Study with no idea when our exam will actually be?

COMMUNICATE, it’s not difficult. I don’t care if you don’t have all the answers, give us SOMETHING.

Catmao
                      Participant

“The CAS will work with affected candidates to reschedule the exam for the first available date within the exam window of November 19 to December 9, 2020, in accordance with Pearson guidelines. If the first available testing date is outside of the current exam window, the exam window will be extended until December 31, 2020.”
                        This is from CAS website COVID-19 EXAM RESCHEDULING PROCEDURE, updated on 11/16/2020. There must be come communication between CAS and Pearson about the reschedule, so I don’t understand why there is still no authorization of the extension. It just doesn’t make sense.

oliviaie
                        Participant

CAS did send us an email (check spam or maybe you didn’t get it, I never got the first email about this process going digital).

It says:
                          “We are aware that candidates in Illinois received or will receive a cancellation notice for their exam sitting due to limitations placed on Pearson VUE test centers, as dictated by the state government’s health guidelines. The CAS understands your frustration at receiving this notice, as well as that of your employers, after you have spent months in preparation for the exam. CAS leadership is in regular communication to stay informed of how the situation is unfolding and to determine how best to address it. While the CAS does not have an alternative testing option to offer you at this time, we will follow up with you with additional details the week of November 30.”

So I’m not sure whether to keep studying or enjoy the holiday. Thanks CAS.

hawkeye1414
                          Participant

I didn’t get an email, but got a response to the email I sent them in which I was told that I did get an email (not in inbox, spam folder, anywhere).

Called and was told they’ll be actually opening Pearson up for Dec 9-31 “in the next 1-2 days”. But…what is that going to do? Ok, they canceled my appointment on the 7th because cases are skyrocketing. Do we really think the 9th, the 15th, the 30th will be better?

This is a non-solution. And still garbage communication. I only got that information because I called and it’s incomplete at best.

I did ask “what if they cancel all December appointments” and was told basically “you’ll get an email”.

hawkeye1414
                            Participant

Well, got an email back saying the window will close on the 31st and won’t be changed, and they actually encouraged booking in another state if you want to take it now. Unbelievable. Literally unbelievable that they’re encouraging interstate travel in a pandemic.

saul goodman
                              Participant

CAS Press Release 4/7/20

By cancelling the April exam sitting now, we will be able to expend our energy on a viable contingency plan for October that would allow candidates to take exams remotely.

Where is that remote option? Pearson offers remote testing.

TryhardActuary
                                Participant

This seems pretty crazy, and I feel your pain. It’s not fun being forced to travel or just cancel after studying for months.
                                  However, this is an unprecedented time and can’t blame CAS. I feel this is where we all lose, and there is no winner.

So, is it MN so far or are testing centers in other states also shutting down?

saul goodman
                                  Participant

Make sure you get to your testing center two weeks early. Minnesota requires a two week quarantine on out-of-state travelers.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 41 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.