Spring 2021 ILA-LPM Thread

Home Forums SOA Exams Spring 2021 ILA-LPM Thread

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    actuarialswagger
    Participant

I wanted to create a thread for my fellow Spring 2021 ILA-LPM test takers. These threads have helped me answer questions/discuss strategies for past exams, so I’d like to get one started for this sitting.

Tppytoe
    Participant

I’m also taking LPM this Spring! Really miss the old AO – I feel like this place is a ghost town. I’m curious to know how people are studying, but it doesn’t look like there’s many people signing on anymore.

actuarialswagger
    Participant

I agree, it’s unfortunate that the response rate is lower than before. I’ve been going through TIA’s videos and have been writing notes from the lessons. I’m hoping to be done with those by March and will use the next month to try to memorize all the flashcards. Then April/May will be used to do practice problems and continue going through flashcards. How are you planning on studying?

alphamu13
    Participant

I have 3 suggestions for others working towards fellowship, or even associateship, that have helped me:

Identify your learning style and choose study materials that complement it. TIA is my go-to. Once I left behind the traditional manuals & methods and went with TIA, I’ve been passing all my exams on the first round. I only wish I had switched earlier in my career…I could’ve saved a lot of time and money.

Learn how to study more effectively instead of just getting the hours you think you need. Actuarial Exam Tactics (by Roy Ju and Mike Jennings) helped me develop better study methods and habits. I sailed through high school and most of college without really needing to study, so I never learned how to study effectively when it came to challenging material. This book was one of my better purchases.

Increase reading speed/comprehension with a speed reading course. Udemy has some free speed reading courses that take a few hours to complete and helped me quite a bit. Public libraries also often have free courses, I know my local library does.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.